About thirty-five to forty percent of Nourished Kitchen readers purposefully avoid gluten or grains entirely either because of a diagnosis of celiac disease or out of dietary preference. So, this post is for you – a beautiful coconut flour bread for all those grain-free readers, or just any of you looking to enrich your diets with wholesome fats and high quality protein.
Coconut flour is remarkably versatile, and I like to use it in otherwise starchy recipes where its spongy, dense and moist texture really shines. It soaks up liquid readily and just a little bit of coconut flour goes a long, long way. In most recipes, coconut flour is paired with several eggs and a good amount of fat, both of which contribute valuable vitamins and a favorable fatty acid ratio to the dish you’re making – in this case: coconut flour bread. By comparison to grain-based flours, coconut flour is richer in dietary fiber, protein and fat which makes it a particularly helpful flour for those that must be mindful of their macronutrient intake levels (which is probably all of us.)Coconut Flour Bread
Composed of just five simple ingredients, this grain-free bread is remarkably satisfying. Though the bread is made from coconut flour, its flavor is only slightly reminiscent of coconut and it offers a beautiful dense crumb similar to coffee cake but without the cloying sweetness. While you could undoubtedly use this coconut flour bread to prepare sandwiches, I think its dense crumb coupled with its very faint coconut flavor would make it the ideal bread for a nutrient-dense and protein-rich French toast.
Coconut Flour Bread: Ingredients
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup ghee (see sources), plus extra for greasing the pan
- 6 eggs
- up to two tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
Coconut Flour Bread: Equipment
- stand mixer, food processor or mixing bowl and whisk
- loaf pan
Coconut Flour Bread: Method
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine coconut flour, ghee, eggs, honey and 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt together.
- Mix all the ingredients together until they form a smooth paste with no clumps.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
YIELD: 1 loaf
TIME: about 5 minutes (preparation), 40 minutes (baking)