Sunday, August 29, 2010

Easy Peasy Mustard and Cream Steak Sauce

Whoa! I shudder when I think of how good this tasted on our steak last night. I must give my compliments to America's Test Kitchen for the recipe, although I modified it a bit to serve my WAPF principles.

To start, whenever I cook a grass fed steak, I rub on the seasonings and let it sit for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature. When the pan is ready and hot, I BUTTER THE STEAK, not the pan. That way I can get a good sear on the steak without burning my butter. And we all know butter is better, right?

After removing the steak I let it rest for 10 minutes or so before cutting into it. This is the time to make the Mustard Cream Sauce. You will need

1 shallot - minced - about 2 tablespoons (I did not have a shallot so I used a couple of green onions)
1 1/2 Tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 Cup chicken broth
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 1/2 Tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard (I used plain Dijon)

You want about 1 T fat from the steak in the skillet.
On low heat, add the shallot and cook stirring frequently until it begins to brown - about 2-3- minutes.
Add the wine and increase the heat to medium high, simmer rapidly, scraping up the browned bits on the pan bottom until the liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 30 seconds.
Add broth and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the mustard and remove from heat.
Add the cream and season to taste with Celtic Sea Salt and pepper.

I used some cream that was starting to sour and it was perfect. But, I am looking forward to making it with fresh cream, too. I don't think I can do the wrong thing with this winner.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment