Saturday, July 11, 2009

Zucchini Lasagna

My farmer Jake gave me a most wonderful gift recently. He sent me a Lancaster County cookbook based on the principles of Nourishing Traditions. I call it "NT-Lite" But it is not "lite" on wonderful recipes. I pour through it regularly and seem to always have most of the ingredients on hand for that nights dinner choice. It's a great little cookbook and it's name is Wholesome Home Cooking: Preparing Nutrient-Dense Foods.

Here is one dish I have made twice (twice means it was easy for me and very flavorful for my family).


Zucchini Lasagna
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1tsp. salt
1 pt. pizza or spaghetti sauce
16 oz. cottage cheese
3 eggs
2 or 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4" thick
grated cheese

Brown meat with onion and salt. Stir in the sauce. Beat eggs into cottage cheese with fork. Layer in a 13x9" pan starting with the meat mixture, then cottage cheese mixture, then zucchini. Repeat layers and end with meat. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove from oven and top with grated cheese.

(I added oregano to the meat mixture which was quite a hit)

No comments:

Post a Comment