Sunday, April 22, 2012

Al's Baked Oatmeal


My friend Sarah Ellen sent me this recipe.  I modified it a bit but properly soaking the oatmeal the night before in yogurt and then reduced the amount of milk.  I followed her suggestion of grinding the oats in the food processor and it created a cake-like bar.  It was a bit crumbly so I would heat a couple bars in the toaster oven, put them in a bowl, slather with butter and mix it all up with extra salt and eat it with a spoon.  Breakfast., snack, dessert...you can't have it at the wrong time of day.  So very good.

Tomorrow I am making it with coconut ghee instead of the butter and add some shredded coconut.  YUMM!

Dear Cynthia,
Here is a truly simple, delicious recipe you'll make over and over again! I have had it for only a month*, and I've made it at least 2x a week (I think one week it was 4x!) Yes, it's that good. Breakfast, dessert, snack... enjoy!
 
Al's Baked Oatmeal
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. maple syrup
2 eggs, beaten
3 c. oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
 
Cream together butter, syrup, & eggs. Add remaining ingredients. Bake in 9'x9' pan at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
 
Better yet, make a double batch, and put it in a 9'x13'. You'll be so glad you did.
You can play around with this. Grind the oats, and it takes on cake-like texture. Add some chocolate chips on top, and it is a deluxe treat. Make it ultra healthy with nuts, berries, flax seeds, coconut... you name it! It's always turned out good no matter what I do to it. Just be sure you never EVER substitute the butter and syrup. That would be a crime.
 
Happy eating,
Sarah Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment